Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Editing

Editing is the process of preparing language, images, or sound for presentation through correction, condensation, organization, and other modifications--source Wikipedia

Editing is also the source of hair loss, lost sleep, lost relationships and a lot of lost words. That is, if the editing is of your own work in progress. I have been trying very hard to clean up or edit the book I wrote during NaNo, the one of which I was so proud. It seems there are a few problems. Did I say a few? To start with the language is too stilted. That may be due to the fact that I was looking for the required number of words so of course contractions, which are in everyday language, weren't de rigeur. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. It may also be due to the fact that at one time I taught English as a Second Language and it was fairly formal.

On re-reading the manuscript I discovered that I only had maybe two POVs for the hero while the women in the piece had many more. Some would say that was a good thing. Fixing that will also give me more wordage which could be good.

I decided that I needed to check the grammar too as I had a problem with subject and verb agreement in a couple of places. Mere oversights of course. I used the grammar feature on the computer until I got so frustrated that I decided to check it myself as I go along. Too many times the computer told me to change do to does whcn do was the obvious and correct choice. That is just one example. The computer was wrong more than it was right in this case. I don't know why.

The real problem here is that I don't really know what I am doing. I am trying to tighten up the piece because I want to be able to pitch it in New Jersey. Before that happens I need to special order some titanium to be inserted into my spine to give me the backbone I need to approach an editor or agent. Even though I like this work I don't know if I have the courage to try and sell it. What is even scarier is that I will have to ask for an interview appointment when I register this week. Oh help!




3 Comments:

Blogger McB said...

Hey Scope! Nice post. Now get to work on that WIP.

1:35 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I've read your WIP and I think you've got a really great idea for a story. You already have my specific comments on it, and I wasn't being nice about it. I really, really like the story.
As for titanium in your spine... um, could you sign me up for that operation? Because I'm thinking that's exactly what I'll need in order to be able to pitch this in NJ. BCB is my current idol, as she pitched without tossing her lunch. I just KNOW you have the courage to do it.
I'm wondering if you'd be willing to sit there and hold my hand when my time comes? because I have a feeling that the only pitching I'll e doing in NJ is the kind that involves a lot of cleanup after.

Keep writing, Penny. I love you to pieces, and can't wait to see your finished product!

7:10 PM  
Blogger ZaZa said...

Ask for the appointment! You still have time to work on your ms.

If you want me to give a look at it, email me: zlamarr at gmail dot com

As a fellow CB, it's the least I can do. ;+)

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home