Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Second Childhood

I have decided that I am in my second childhood. I LOVE children's movies. I just went to see "Charlotte's Web" and I thought it was great and I intend to buy it when it comes out on DVD. I spent last weekend watching "Air Bud" and "Air Buddies" with my grandchildren then watching a six-hanky version of "Lassie" for which my granddaughter informed me I had more salt water in my eyes than she did.

I loved "Babe" too. The only Disney movie I was never able to finish watching was "The Fox and the Hound". I found it too violent. "Cinderella" is my favoritie Disney movie. In my bookcase I have all kinds of kids movies and I watch them even without the kids. For instance, "Beauty and the Beast" is another favorite. Although a lot of these movies have sad parts they always end up with a Happily Ever After ending. They make me feel good. It is someting I can do with my granddaughter. We cuddle in my chair covered with afghans and sing along with the musicals. It is a nice time. Something I did with the boys when they were younger as well.

Originally I told my husband I was buying these movies for the children but the truth is I buy them for me. I don't think I have fooled him a bit when it was me that wanted "Air Buddies" for Christmas and who was thrilled to receive "Shrek 2" last year. There is no help for me. I am stuck in a second childhood...and loving it.

3 Comments:

Blogger btuda said...

I think I'm in that boat with you. At our last garage sale, I had to *save* all the Disney videos my step-son has outgrown.

Of course, in college there was a group of us who would go to the midnight showings of the new Disney movies (Beauty and the Beast rings a bell) so we could see it on the big screen without the rugrats running amok being a distraction. (You know. THOSE children. It's never anyone you know or can claim.)

10:37 AM  
Blogger dee said...

"Beauty and the Beast" is my favorite. I think it's mostly because Belle, well she's a 'book girl' and I can relate. I even love the scene in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" where it's showing the square below, and you see Belle, walking through in her blue and white dress, with her nose stuck in a book. That Belle - quite a girl!
Second fave has got to be "The Little Mermaid", because of my baby. She LOVED that movie for so many years. Ok, she's only almost 6, but still. She'd even do this thing where she imitates Ariel coming up on that rock jutting out of the sea... "Watch and you'll see, someday I'll be... part of your wooooooooooooorld". Love it. Just LOVE IT.

7:58 PM  
Blogger rssasrb said...

I love kids movies too though at the moment I prefer the non animated ones. The Air Bud movies are some of my favorites but I haven't seen Air Buddies or Shrek 2 now that I think about it.

Favorite Disney animated movie? That's a tough one because there are so many I've loved. Need to think about that one.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home