Wednesday, August 26, 2009

No Elephant Me.


Oh darn I forget what I was going to write.

I seem to be forgetting a lot lately. I know I can't possibly have forgotten as much as my family says I have. I have been accused of telling my daughter something and then telling her the same thing three times over in a very short period of time. Nah, she must be hearing echoes.

I'm told forgetting is just a condition of aging but I'm not THAT old. My brain still works very well. I know who and where I am at all times. That's very important. There was a time once when I didn't know where I was though. That was really scary. That was a medical problem.

I know my husband and children's names. I know my dog's name. I even know my name. That's important too.

Did I mention that I have been told I repeat myself several times in a short space of time? Oh, I did? Sorry.

My husband and daughter constantly say they have told me something but I know darn well they didn't tell me. I know they don't think so but sometimes the problem is not me but them. I often tell my husband he must have told his virtual wife because he hasn't told me.They forget things too and they even admit it once in awhile.

I hate forgetting that I said something. Because I don't remember doing it I tend to argue the point. I always lose of course, because the other two people in my house do remember me saying it. Since they are both younger than me (although one is only three months younger) I have to concede the point. I know darn well though, that I am not always wrong.

I don't really know how to rectify this problem. I try to keep my brain alert by doing crossword puzzles or other word puzzles. I read. I write on the computer here in my blog, although I haven't been very good lately, I go to another blog, I keep up with friends on Facebook and I sometimes read the newspaper. I don't know what else to do to keep my brain active. I guess I'll just have to accept that sometimes I am going to drive everyone nuts by repeating myself. I am not an elephant so I do forget.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Merry said...

My mother used to /routinely/ forget my name -- which is odd, since I was named after her. Instead, she'd run down the list of her children -- and the dog's name too -- until she got to the right one.
I think it's a Parents thing :)

8:11 PM  
Blogger rssasrb said...

My mother did the same thing. All the kids and the dog. Then I had kids and pets and found myself doing it. I tell myself it's because my brain is so very active that sometimes there are bound to be glitches. Try that one Scope and see if it works.

I'm threatening to tape all DH's conversations with me because he swears he told me something and I swear he didn't. Sometimes I think he thinks it when I'm in the room so as far as he's concerned, he's told me.

You are right. You're remembering the important things Scope.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I wonder sometimes what my memory will be like when I get older, and can actually use that as an excuse for all the things I forget. I can't remember numbers or names to save my life.

I know! Maybe your brain is just getting full, and you have to work harder to make stuff stick!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My x FIL did that. He used to write checks to x with JR on it...he wasn't, or made out to uncle's name plus FIL's name.... Luckily, it was a small town bank. The x would take the check in, the clerk would shake her/his head and cash it. Sometimes, if it was someone new, the manager would have to call x FIL to confirm it. He now goes through all 9 of his sibs, all his kids, the grandkids and now greats until he hits one. The kids just let him go sometimes and don't tell him when he gets the right one. They say he's done this since he was a kid.
I have done it once or twice. And mixed a couple of other things up. I do notice that since I am like a fine wine, it gets worse if I am tired or don't feel well. But I can do crosswords fast and read fast and invent projects for E! and A! so I think I'm doing okay...really.... ;P

cbpen

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home