Thursday, July 02, 2009

Here I go Again.

Once again I have picked up my first major work in progress, commonly known in the "industry" as my WIP. The good thing is I really like the story. The bad thing is it needs work. Maybe lots of work.

I have been told that I write very formally so I will have to change that by making more contractions but in all honesty I tend to write like I talk. Until all this was pointed out to me I had no idea that I did this. It's funny because as I read over the last two sentences I saw that I was still doing it. I'm not sure that I have always been so formal or if it is a result of attending university in my forties. Whatever, it is going to take some time to fix this.

It has been suggested that I need to make my heroine a little stronger. Instead of crying over the problems with the hero she should possibly be angry or use some other emotion to get the point across. I think I can do that. After reading over some of the important scenes I can see how the recurring flow of tears could be a turn off for the reader. I'll have to work on that.

There is one important thing I need to do. Most of the work is done in conversation. It will be necessary to put in some introspection and more description I guess. This is something that I will only be able to decide as I re-read the work.

I still have problems with 'showing', a good thing, and 'telling', not so good. I had someone read a scene from my work at our writers' meeting to see which the scene was doing. Luckily I learned that that particular piece was 'showing'. What a relief. Phew! Just a few technical suggestions. It was nice to know that it was also well received as a good bit of writing. That's great because I really liked that scene. One scene down. Two hundred or so to go.

3 Comments:

Blogger orangehands said...

Hey, go you. Just take it a scene at a time.

I sometimes had the opposite problem in university - I was too casual.

I need to get back to my WIP...ARGH!

4:44 PM  
Blogger The Merry said...

Seems to me so long as you believe in the story, then it's worth the work.

Go Scope!

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently read about a "new" author...he'd been working on his book for ten years!

cbpen
(de-cloaked for fairness to all)

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home