Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pretending

virgin cherry bomb

*****Note: When this was written Michael was our only grandchild until William came along six years later. While Michael seems to be the deep thinker, William is the real sportsman of the family. He likes baseball, soccer and swimming. He does the best monkey imitation I have ever seen. Both boys adore the last addition to the family. Michael got his wish when his sister Sarah was born. Sarah is the happy, bouncy child. She never stops, either talking or singing.

Michael is now a teenager and William is on the verge (12). Sarah is four. We love and enjoy all the grandchildren and their individuality. At this rate they will give me lots to write about for years to come.


An only child, at least for now, Michael changes the size of his family regularly. His desire for a sister has produced anywhere from one to five female siblings at the drop of a hat. Keeping up becomes quite a challenge.

An animal lover of the first order, Michael also has had a pretend dog which he named "Chitid". Don't ask. I don't know where he gets the names. This particular moniker was a great source of amusement for the family until my son actually had a guest register at the hotel in which he worked under the name "Mr. Chitid".

A sometimes farmer, Michael has five farms, only one house though. When we went to Wonderland for the day Michael informed us that the farm was `open' but Jordan, his pretend friend, and his sisters, were looking after the animals. Another time `bad guys' had come and killed all the animals, but, we were told, Michael had called the vet and `they're all better now'. Would that life and death could be so simple.

This past week Michael and his `Mampa' had to take our car in to be fixed. (It's a guy thing, you know.) Well, our little blue Sprint became an 18-wheeler while at the garage. Quite a trick, don't you think? Any time after that, when Jim and Michael went anywhere alone they were truck drivers. Imagine my surprise when on the next trip we went together, I was told to sit in the back because Michael had to help Jim drive. When I refused to fold myself in half to climb into the back seat I was told that was `okay' because now we were on a fire truck and Michael had to work the siren. Since we were leaving Newmarket and heading for Keswick I knew I could not participate in the charade that long. My ears could not stand the undulating sounds emanating from the back seat. I tried, in true adult fashion, to employ logic, in an effort to preserve my sanity.

"Michael, we have reached the fire now. Let's put it out." That didn't work because in Michael's logic, we had not stopped driving. Sometimes reality becomes very convenient for this little person. Once more I tried. (I don't give up easily.) "Michael, if we take too long to reach the fire the house will have burned down."

The response: "That's okay, Mama. The firemen will build a new one this afternoon." The siren continued all the way home.

That trip became almost as bad as the one on July First when we covered the same ground listening to Michael sing his favourite song, "Oh, Can-da-da". Unfortunately, those were also the only words he knew.

This summer we have played a lot of pretend games as well as real ones. We have had sharks, dinosaurs (several types, of which Michael knows the names...I don't know how), any number of different farm animals, farmer and tow truck driver. That was one of my favourites. On Tuesdays and Thursdays Michael said he took his tow truck to jobs in Africa. The remainder of the weekdays were spent on calls around the rest of the world.

I will be very sorry to see these little characters disappear, as we all know they will. I am sure their removal from his everyday life will herald an end to a time when trips to Mama and Mampa's house are the highlight of Michael's summer `baycation'.

4 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

Oh Penny, this was just the PERFECT pick-me-up.
You are so great! I can't wait til NJ!!
dee

4:29 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Well, I'm glad you come visit our blog. It certainly makes things more interesting. The upcoming week is going to be crazy in Atlanta. I wish you all the best with your family.

5:48 PM  
Blogger JT said...

SDCB - I love hearing about you grandkids. I know my mother is enjoying my children and it's nice to see the special relationship they are developing with her.

Enjoying Atlanta. It's exhausing, but exciting at the same time. I've been busy, but couldn't stay away from the blog.

I saw lani and she gave my little necklace. I'm wearing it now. Thank you so much. You are very special.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally not fair!! JenT got a necklace?!? We are soooo going to have to talk about this in NJ. Do you hear me?

(Just kidding, btw. And your comments seemt o be working all fine now. Good job. We'll make a blogger queen out of you yet. Let me know if you need anything else!)

loves to you,
dee

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home