Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Germany

virgin cherry bomb

I married a military man, 44 years ago, and we have had a great life. We lived in Germany for three years which was my favorite posting and second favorite was Prince Edward Island.

In Germany we learned to speak the language as quickly as possible. Night after night I sat with my German landlord, he with his French/German dictionary and I with my English/French one. It was difficult but a fun time.

I also am proud to say that I got the keys to the city and a beautiful scroll(both of which where lost in one of our transfers) from a village very high in the mountains. Their children's choir had come to our air base to join with the Canadian children's choir in a musical evening when we got hit by a huge snow storm. I took the busload of German kids to the messhall for dinner, with the commander's permission. That was a riot. The mess was setting up for breakfast so, because it was cafeteria style they had huge bowls of fruit, crackers and especially of interest to the kids, small boxes of cereal. All of the bowls were empty in a flash with the booty being secreted in their back packs.

After their dinner we headed to the arena where my husband's team was playing hockey. The German kids had never seen a hockey game so they were very excited and extremely interested in what the black thing they were hitting was made of. I was able to obtain six pucks for them from the equipment manager which made them very happy.

I had told the children that they could not come into the arena until they could speak English, which had really deflated them. I explained that they had to be able to say "Go Blackhawks, Go!" That was the name of my husband's team, who were losing when we entered. It is amazing how having sixty kids yelling for you pumps up a team. The Blackhawks won.

Eventually the snow let up enough that the children could head home safely but we were invited to come to the musical afternoon at a later date, which we did. The village was extremely high in the mountains over a long, winding road but the scenery made one breathless.

What a time we had. We were greeted like heroes, every parent wanting to shake my hand and thank me for showing their children such a good time. Our children's choir sang several songs, one being Edelweiss and then we sat down to tables filled with all kinds of German dishes. It was wonderful and a good time was had by all. It was a wonderfully warm, friendly afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home