Thursday, July 06, 2006

Put to Sleep

virgin cherry bomb:
This took place thirteen years ago but I thought it was worth posting now since I have had a request for more "Michael" stories. Michael always said that Toby, the cocker spaniel was his brother so you can understand my concern when all this happened.

I had been seriously ill for the past three years. I had no idea how that had affected my little grandson, Michael, until the day we thought we would have to put our seven year old cocker spaniel down. Toby had been having difficulty walking and appeared to be in severe pain. Like his mistress he had been having medical problems for quite awhile.

I was very upset so I asked my son Scott, Michael's father, to prepare him for Toby's demise. I heard him explaining that Toby was very sick and would not be coming home from the Veterinarian's office. I knew that Michael would have a great deal of difficulty with this because he used to refer to the dog as his `brother'.
I went into the bedroom just as Scott had finished telling Michael in order to let them know that my husband and I were leaving to take the dog.
With tears in his eyes Michael looked at me and asked, "But Mamma, you're coming home aren't you?"

To Michael's delight, thanks to new medication, neither the dog nor I needed to be `put to sleep'.

3 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Hi Scope Dope! Glad you and the dog are still with us.

I did go to the meeting, but Lani coudln't make it. She is mailing my little gift. I will let you know as soon as I get it. My lake house is near Syracuse where the meeting is, but I live in Rochester, an hour away, and I am home now.

8:17 PM  
Blogger dee said...

Oh SDCB, that was just too sweet. I'm echoing JJen when I say that I'm soooo very glad that YOU are still with us. You make my world a much brighter place, just by being a part of it.
Thanks for always saying the nicest things!!

8:31 PM  
Blogger JT said...

SDCB - I so look forward to meeting you! You are a very special person. Big hugs.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home